Awards Guideline and Selection CriteriaGames of the Year
- Minister of Economy,
Trade and Industry Award
- Games of the Year
- Future Division
- Amateur Division
- U18 Division
Grand Award, Award for Excellence,
Best Sales Award,
Special Award Selection Procedure
All games that were released onto the Japanese market between April 1, 2022, and March 31, 2023.
However, smartphones and PC games where there was movement in that year after being released and distributed outside the above period are included in the scope.
- All computer entertainment games are eligible, including those operable on consumer-oriented home video game consoles (stationary or portable-type) or personal computers, regardless of platform type.
Games produced by non-members of the Computer Entertainment Supplier's Association are also eligible.
(Games must, however, comply with CESA ethics codes)
- The Japanese versions of foreign game titles are also eligible.
- Grand Award (1 title)
- Award for Excellence (number unspecified)
- Best Sales Award (1 title)
- Special Award (awarded only if there are appropriate recipients)
Awards Selection Procedure
After the general voting is completed, the Japan Game Awards selection committee will be called to select the winners on the basis of the following selection criteria. The product evaluated highest as the game of the year will be presented with the "Grand Award", and the "Award for Excellence" will be presented to other games which receive high ratings.
The "Best Sales Award" will be presented for the best-selling title sold in Japan during the specified period.The "Special Award" may be given to titles or producers which the committee deems appropriate for the award.
Winners for each award are selected in accordance with the evaluation of the following five game elements as well as the evaluation of users.
- The plan and organization of the game are evaluated.
- Programming techniques used to create the game software are evaluated.
- Imaging and graphics used in the game are evaluated.
- Sound quality and effects used in the game are evaluated.
- The development of the storyline in the game is evaluated.
- 6.User evaluation
The following two types of data will be used as references in the judging session.
* 1. The result of general voting will be used as an evaluation reference to determine the winner of the "Grand Award" and the "Award for Excellence".
We will consider the number of votes before making a selection.
* 2. Sales volumes will be used as an evaluation reference at the judging session.
(* Depending on the type of award, numerical data from both inside and outside of Japan may be referenced.)
Game Designers Awards
To select the award a screening panel consisting of creators separate from the Japan Game Awards Selection Committee was established.
The entries are awarded points on a scale of 1 to 10 by each judge and then the winner is selected based on the point totals.
The final winner is determined with the approval of the Japan Game Awards Selection Committee.
The awards are selected based on the following selection criteria 1 and 2 below, which are used for the detailed judging and evaluation.
- Creativity： Incorporates new ideas that are a clear departure from existing works.
- Originality： Works that expand the form of game software by presenting new ways for the user to enjoy and play with the game.
The above evaluations 1 and 2 are combined to select excellent titles that have the potential to become an indicator of future market development.